Plan to attend MLUC's Annual Meeting on Sunday, May 21 at 11:15 a.m., where all members will have the opportunity to review and approve next year's budget and elect Trustees and members of the Nominating Committee. (There will be one service at 10:00 a.m. on both May 21 and May 28.)
Medicare and You: Putting the Pieces Together
If you are approaching the age when you need to enroll in Medicare and want to understand what choices you have in selecting Medicare options, you are invited to attend a brief program here at MLUC on Sunday, April 16 following the 11:00 a.m. service's coffee hour.
MLUC member, John Maxwell is a licensed insurance agent who will offer a free session to help you understand and navigate this important decision. Take advantage of this opportunity to learn about Medicare in the relaxed setting of your own faith community. This will not be a sales pitch and will be a painless way to examine this subject among friends. To RSVP, email .
THINGS YOU CAN DO TO ADDRESS CLIMATE CHANGE
As a follow up to Climate Expert Chad Tolman's talk at MLUC on April 23, here are his recommendations for taking concrete action.
- Take classes at local universities (Osher Lifelong Learning (Wilm.) and UD (Newark)
- Read good books:
- Climate Literacy: The Essential Principles of Climate Science. (www.globalchange.gov)
- Climate Change Evidence & Causes. An Overview from the Royal Society and the National Academy of Sciences, National Academies Press, 2014. At http://www.nap.edu/catalog/18730/climate-change-evidence-and-causes
- Lester R. Brown, Plan B 4.0: Mobilizing to Save Civilization. W. W. Norton & Co., NY, 2009.
- Bill McKibben, Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet. Henry Holt & Co., NY, 2010.
- David Archer, The Long Thaw: How Humans are Changing the Next 100,000 Years of Earth’s Climate. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 2009.
- Kathleen D. Moore and Michael P Nelson, Eds., Moral Ground: Ethical Action for a Planet in Peril. Trinity University Press, San Antonio TX, 2010.
*Books without links are available for purchase at Amazon.com
Find Websites with Reliable Information
Climate Change News (Google “climate Tolman”) to keep up on energy and climate science, public policy, opinion, ethics and economics
Price on Carbon: Putting the Market to Work by Linda Swift, endorsed by US League of Women Voters (LWVUS)
State and Trends of Carbon Pricing. World Bank, Washington D.C., October 2016.
Toolkit for Climate Action, (LWVUS
Climate Change Science: An Analysis of Some Key Questions. The National Academies Press, 2001
The Koch Brothers’ War on Climate Science. The Real News Network, October, 2016
Chasing Ice. A documentary about ice loss from largest glaciers, 2014.
Visit Museums with Good Climate Exhibits
Climate Change Museum in NYC
Marion Koshland Science Museum in Washington, DC
Reduce Your Family's Carbon Emissions
- Use book: Cooler Smarter: Practical Steps for Low-Carbon Living – Expert Advice from the Union of Concerned Scientists, Island Press, Washington, D.C., 2014.
- Make your home, appliances and cars more energy efficient.
- Reduce your consumption of meat, especially beef and pork.
- If you fly, buy carbon offsets. Learn about them at Green America.
- Find out your carbon footprint
Support and Volunteer for Organizations Working for Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation, and Social Justice
- Your church
- League of Women Voters
- Interfaith Power and Light
- Sierra Club
- Union of Concerned Scientists
- Environmental Defense Fund
- National Wildlife Federation – Delaware Nature Society
- Citizen’s Climate Lobby
Write Letters-to-the-Editor and Opinion Pieces for Local Newspapers
Meet with Your Public Officials and Legislators at Local, State and National Levels
Question Candidates for Public Office about How They Would Address Energy and Climate Change, If Elected