THINGS YOU CAN DO TO ADDRESS CLIMATE CHANGE
As a follow up to Climate Expert Chad Tolman's talk at MLUC on April 23, here are his recommendations for taking concrete action.
- Take classes at local universities (Osher Lifelong Learning (Wilm.) and UD (Newark)
- Read good books:
- Climate Literacy: The Essential Principles of Climate Science. (www.globalchange.gov)
- Climate Change Evidence & Causes. An Overview from the Royal Society and the National Academy of Sciences, National Academies Press, 2014. At http://www.nap.edu/catalog/18730/climate-change-evidence-and-causes
- Lester R. Brown, Plan B 4.0: Mobilizing to Save Civilization. W. W. Norton & Co., NY, 2009.
- Bill McKibben, Eaarth: Making a Life on a Tough New Planet. Henry Holt & Co., NY, 2010.
- David Archer, The Long Thaw: How Humans are Changing the Next 100,000 Years of Earth’s Climate. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 2009.
- Kathleen D. Moore and Michael P Nelson, Eds., Moral Ground: Ethical Action for a Planet in Peril. Trinity University Press, San Antonio TX, 2010.
Find Websites with Reliable Information
Climate Change News (Google “climate Tolman”) to keep up on energy and climate science, public policy, opinion, ethics and economics
Price on Carbon: Putting the Market to Work by Linda Swift, endorsed by US League of Women Voters (LWVUS)
State and Trends of Carbon Pricing. World Bank, Washington D.C., October 2016.
Toolkit for Climate Action, (LWVUS
NOAA Global Climate Change Indicators
NOAA Trends in Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide
Climate Change Science: An Analysis of Some Key Questions. The National Academies Press, 2001
The Koch Brothers’ War on Climate Science. The Real News Network, October, 2016
Chasing Ice. A documentary about ice loss from largest glaciers, 2014.
Reduce Your Family's Carbon Emissions
- Use book: Cooler Smarter: Practical Steps for Low-Carbon Living – Expert Advice from the Union of Concerned Scientists, Island Press, Washington, D.C., 2014.
- Make your home, appliances and cars more energy efficient.
- Reduce your consumption of meat, especially beef and pork.
- If you fly, buy carbon offsets. Learn about them at Green America.
- Find out your carbon footprint
Support and Volunteer for Organizations Working for Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation, and Social Justice
- Your church
- League of Women Voters
- Interfaith Power and Light
- Sierra Club
- Union of Concerned Scientists
- Environmental Defense Fund
- National Wildlife Federation – Delaware Nature Society
- Citizen’s Climate Lobby
Write Letters-to-the-Editor and Opinion Pieces for Local Newspapers
Meet with Your Public Officials and Legislators at Local, State and National Levels
Question Candidates for Public Office about How They Would Address Energy and Climate Change, If Elected